The 1816 Plantation Home

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Coles Phillips and the Fadeaway Girls

As the weather in Atlanta begins to warm, and springs calls forth the profusion of red buds and azaleas, my mind begins to revel in the long summer days of the past. Glorious summers of sand and surf. We spent them on the beaches of the Great Lakes, where the sun melted on the horizon of the blue water and glistened on the white capped waves and the beach was a crazy quilt of colorful towels and umbrellas. Coppertone and brine scented the air. Gulls calling and Motown's latest release mixed with the sounds of boats splashing across the water's surface.

In my reverie, I am reminded of an American Illustrator of the 20's, Coles Phillips, famous for the "Fade-Away Girls", his illustrations were incomplete and allowed one's mind to fill in the beauty.
Of all his many works, one of my favorites is titled, Smooth Sailing, it takes me back to those summers at the Lakes and I almost can smell the Coppertone and the brackish scent of the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment